Northwest Permanente, P.C. is a self-governed (physician led), multi-specialty group of over 1500 physicians, surgeons, and clinicians, caring for over 600,000 members in Oregon and Southwest Washington. Kaiser Permanente is one of the nation's pre-eminent health care systems, a benchmark for comprehensive, integrated and high quality care.
The Project Manager role provides project management, process improvement and analytical support to major projects, and conducts complex analyses, thereby supporting the department in achieving its performance targets.
Major Responsibilities / Essential Functions:
Drive for Business Value - Planning & Scoping:
- Efficiently plan and prioritize own and others' work through drafting project engagement work plans for assigned work
- Organize project activities and ensure tasks are completed within project scope and Provide opportunities to transfer relevant capabilities and knowledge to junior team members.
- Demonstrate with some oversight and sustainable with proven outcomes: Guiding work and teams to effectively achieve objectives and
- Apply project management principles and Identification of project resource requirements.
- Project execution (results, decision making, strategic thinking, driving performance): leads project teams to high quality results
Drive for Business Value – Issue Management and Quality Assurance (QA):
- Anticipate project issues, weigh practical considerations in addressing issues, and seek input from engagement manager / sponsor to resolve.
Apply Analytical/Critical Thinking - Strategic Thinking and Solutioning:
- Identify key issues and define problems for analysis.
- Identify better and innovative ways to accomplish goals and satisfy project expectations.
- Design work and structure analyses to facilitate decision-making. Develop easy to understand frameworks to present information and ideas.
- Develop multiple innovative and creative solutions to solve problems.
- Analytic / problem solving (information gathering, decision making, strategic thinking, judgment, telling a compelling story)
- Defines, organized and directs analysis.
- Structures conclusions and recommendations of analysis to facilitate decision making.
- Demonstrates excellent analytic skills. Identifies key issues and defines problems for analysis.
Apply Analytical/Critical Thinking - Analytics:
- Break-down complex or unfamiliar issues into logical parts.
- Apply experience from previous projects to analyze an issue or build a solution.
- Use existing or new frameworks and perspectives to organize large amounts of information.
Apply Analytical/Critical Thinking - Diagnostic Analysis & Application of Tools:
- Develop an understanding of client's business and apply this knowledge to suggest appropriate approaches, tools and techniques to tackle client problems.
- Analyze data and synthesize results to develop pertinent and insightful solutions.
- Use appropriate tools and methodologies to review, design and / or implement products and services. Change management.
- Demonstrate, with some oversight, defining a change and assess the climate and readiness for the change, develop an approach and communication plan.
- Presentation skills (oral presentation, written deliverables, formal facilitation.)
- Structures, creates, and presents formal client communications which are clear, succinct, and compelling. Business Process Improvement (technical skills, knowledge of various methodologies / techniques, application of change management skills, ability to realize sustainable results).
- Own, to the satisfaction of peers and customers, one portion of a process improvement project.
- Able to develop flowcharts, research trees and basic data analysis with little oversight.
- Able to develop basic current state / future state analysis with little oversight. Innovation.
- Creativity (identify opportunities, dynamic thinking, proactive problem solving)
- Open to, and actively supports new and creative ideas.
- Proactively identifies client needs that may benefit from department resources, identifies increasingly more valuable improvements to enhance projects and analysis.
Demonstrate Execution Excellence - Systematic Thinking & Approach:
- Synthesize analysis and highlight implications of findings.
- Organize work and structure analyses to facilitate decision-making.
- Maintains focus on deliverables, objectives and value proposition, despite distractions and politics. Systematically review progress to ensure value is added / or requirements and milestones are met.
Demonstrate Execution Excellence - Design & Development of Deliverables:
- Identify requirements of "solution" to meet multi-faceted business needs and develop conceptual designs. Evaluate options with client to design deliverables that reflect client needs and intended audience.
- Lead the development of selected project deliverables; provide direction, meaningful input and consistent review of team work efforts to improve the quality of final deliverables.
Demonstrate Execution Excellence -Implementation & Change Management:
- Schedule own activities based on how they impact other parts of the project.
- Adapt efficiently to changing circumstances and seek alternative ways of achieving project implementation goals.
- Recognize stakeholder influence and potential impact on project.
- Work effectively with client to plan and facilitate change efforts required to achieve desired outcomes.
Demonstrate Execution Excellence - Project Control:
- Identify and communicate any issue or risk to the project in a timely manner. Follow/Enforce change control management. Ensure quality work is produced.
Manage Stakeholder Relationships - Communication:
- Communicate and explain complex ideas in a concise and simplified manner. Build consensus among team members.
Manage Stakeholder Relationships - Client Relations:
- Act as a thought-partner with project team and clients to define problems, issues, and scope of work.
- Assist in building consensus with client management.
- Raise critical questions and concerns in ways that enhance the credibility of the team.
- Contribute valuable information and perspective based on relevant past experiences.
- Manages client relations including problem definition expectations, root causes and scope of work.
Maximize Team Performance - Teamwork & Staff Relations:
- Create a participative work environment for team members.
- Consistently provides support to peers and mentoring to junior staff.
- Builds effective relationships with peers, clients and other departments.
- Provide direction to achieve desired objectives.
- Help create a team environment that supports the participation and development of others.
- Works collaboratively and effectively in a team environment to achieve high levels of colleague satisfaction. Organizes team building activities.
Maximize Team Performance - Results Management:
- Provide guidance and support in career development opportunities for less experienced staff.
- Provide regular, timely evaluation as required for tasks and engagements.
- Takes necessary corrective action to keep performance outcomes on track.
Maximize Team Performance - Coaching / Guiding Development:
- Provide junior staff with career development advice, support and on-the-job coaching.
- Motivate and encourage junior staff. Improve and provide coaching and feedback to others.
- Proactively participates in coaching and mentoring of team members at all levels both formally and informally.
Maximize Team Performance - Educate & Train:
- Contribute to the planning, development and delivery of local education and training programs.
- Provide staff with on-the-job training in core competency areas.
Pursue Personal Mastery - Builds and Applies Skills and Capabilities:
- Thoroughly review available information and ask questions to build an understanding of activity / assignment.
- Participates and applies learnings from regular reviews of healthcare periodicals, trade journals, HBR, etc.
Pursue Personal Mastery - Knowledge Sharing:
- Share own knowledge to build skills in team members through extensive hands-on experimentation.
- Make useful contributions to the development of tools and capabilities.
- Bachelor's degree in health care, business administration, or related field required OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field
Minimum Wrok Experience:
- Three (3) years of combined experience in process improvement and project management.
- Manage complex projects and/or multiple less complex projects.
- Ability to Supervise up to ten (10) team members.
- Manage resources assigned to specific aspects of a project, and / or manage small projects with minimal impact.
- Use judgment to appropriately deviate from accepted practices.
- Develop recommendations to resolve organizational problems.
- Use excellent verbal and written skills to convey general concepts and / or processes.
- Work within accepted guidelines.
- Plan and schedule activities with moderate oversight.
- Work with limited supervision.
- Master's/advanced degree.
Preferred Work Experience and Qualifications
- Three (3) years of experience in one of the following disciplines: management consulting, planning, management /industrial engineering.
- Project management certification preferred.
- Formal project management training with technical mastery.
- Experience in a Big Four Consulting Firm strongly preferred.
- Experience in an integrated health care system preferred.
- Strong proficiency in the use of current software, including spreadsheets, statistical applications, charts and graphs, project management software, vision, Microsoft applications.
- Intermediate knowledge of analytic techniques pertinent to planning, finance, management/industrial engineering. This includes forecasting, sensitivity analysis, and financial analysis such as NPV.
- Basic knowledge of advanced analytic techniques such as dynamic modeling/simulation, decision analysis, cost benefit/ effectiveness and other economic analysis, operations research.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (1:1, peer, multi-disciplinary group, presentations, written).
- Ability to facilitate project groups of up to twelve (12) people, supporting the project leader in meeting planning, management, and maintaining good group process.
- Proven leadership skills in project management and consulting, including the following attributes: efficient, collaborative, candid, open, and results-oriented.
- Demonstrated ability to manage against multiple completing priorities of operational management customers and business process.
- Ability to design and deliver formal and informal training programs to department staff and customers on advanced consulting and analytical tools and techniques.