Northwest Permanente, P.C. is a self-governed (physician led), multi-specialty group of over 1500 physicians, surgeons, and clinicians, caring for over 600,000 members in Oregon and Southwest Washington. Kaiser Permanente is one of the nation's pre-eminent health care systems, a benchmark for comprehensive, integrated and high quality care.
Equity, Inclusion, & Diversity:
Partner with the Chief People Officer (CPO), Executive Director of HR & Director of Talent Acquisition in the overall development and implementation of a strategic framework for Northwest Permanente’s (NWP), Equity, Inclusion & Diversity programs. Responsible for driving the EID agenda for NWP by collaborating with the HR Business Partners and senior leadership to engage, educate and create momentum towards attracting and retaining an inclusive employee population that mirrors our diverse communities.
Talent Engagement & Retention
Partner with the CPO, Executive Director of HR, other senior leaders and the HRBP’s in establishing an overarching philosophy for employee retention and engagement. Manage the planning, design and implementation of engagement and retention programs for NWP based on national best practices.
The Executive Consultant reports to the Executive Director, HR, and must establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at all levels at NWP. Works in collaboration with the Business Leaders, Talent Acquisition team, HR Business Partners, HR Operations and Centers of Expertise to ensure alignment of needs with the strategies of NWP. Manages a Equity, Inclusion & Diversity Consultant and a Wellness Consultant.
Key Position Accountabilities:
- Provides strategic guidance and operational assistance in the development of enterprise strategies for diversity and inclusion, including governance structure, policies, procedures, action plans and processes to effectively support leadership accountability for leading diversity to become the healthcare employer of choice in the markets we serve.
- Consults with the CPO, business leaders and HRBP’s to improve our organization’s environment; ensuring we foster a culture that is inclusive, innovative, willing to take risks, that proactively leverages multiple dimensions of diversity.
- Guides the EID Consultant priorities ensuring that initiatives across NWP are implemented in ways that support the strategic direction of the company's overall strategy of becoming a model employer in this area.
- In partnership with the Director of Talent Acquisition & Workforce Planning, Initiates and advances action-oriented programs and outreach to improve recruitment and retention in the area of diversity & inclusionstrategies aimed at advancing the attraction. from outside the company as well as the retention and progression within the company.
- Consults with the Director of CME/PD to guide the development of EID education materials based on organizational needs and in keeping with evolving best practices to create/promote awareness.
- Develops a diversity & inclusion communications strategy in partnership with Corporate Communications, that will keep all NWP employees informed about diversity programs and policies.
- In partnership with the EID Consultant, represents NWP at various Diversity and Inclusion conferences and various minority sponsored activities including recruiting events and career fairs.
- Aligns NWP efforts with other Permanente Medical Groups and Kaiser Permanente Program Office, as needed.
- Develops metrics to measure NWP’s progress on various EID initiatives in relation to national best practices on an on-going basis.
- Work closely with the CPO, other physician leaders and the Executive Director of HR to develop comprehensive and integrated Talent Engagement strategies.
- Creates and recommends initiatives supporting the strategies for engagement & retention.
- Utilizes employee engagement and exit interview data to inform the creation of strategies.
- Explore/research best practice solutions to physician burnout and the desire to increase physician flexibility and autonomy while reducing paperwork.
- Manage the relationship with the Employee Engagement survey vendor and coordinate the various logistics and communication for the recurring physician and admin employee surveys.
- Work with the HR Business Partners (HRBP’s), highlighting trends and potential opportunities for their respective areas of responsibility.
- Adopt best practices of other Permanente Medical Groups and other benchmark medical organizations.
- Analyze and recommend initiatives for continuous improvement for all areas of responsibility.
- Drive desired outcomes that are specific to the business needs and culturally appropriate.
- Provides competent, professional, responsive customer service to achieve/exceed business objectives. Self-motivated with high standards professionalism and collaboration.
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops and professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest trends in field of expertise.
- Maintains confidentiality of all information obtained or reviewed.
- Actively supports and incorporates the mission and core values into daily activities.
- Appropriately interacts with all individuals in healthcare settings. Is respectful of the patient care environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
Essential Position Competencies and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required with a concentration in Human Resources, Organizational Development, Organizational Psychology, Business, or related discipline. Master’s degree preferred.
- Eight (8) years progressively responsible experience in managing Equity, Inclusion, Diversity and Talent Engagement programs, and four (4) years of supervisory experience. Proven track record of leading successful EID and workforce engagement programs, understanding how to add value and focusing on the business operations and objectives.
- Experience collaborating with HR Business Partners, Talent Acquisition and other key stakeholders. Experience in managing activities in a multi-site healthcare environment preferred.
- Preferred certifications in Equity, Inclusion & Diversity, Change Management & Managing Organizational Transitions
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledgeable of the healthcare industry, understands the vision, strategy, goals and culture of healthcare and of NWP; links interventions to organizational goals and strategic priorities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Skilled at presentation development, report writing and developing a variety of other communications.
- Models effective presentation skills including the use of audiovisual equipment aids and wall charts.
- Demonstrates self-knowledge of own personal talents and non-talents and acknowledges and utilizes others for balance, seeks feedback from others for growth and development.
- Deep and broad business acumen with the ability to influence change is required.
- Practices how to deal effectively with resistance and how to contract psychologically with clients for collaboration.
- Treats all others with respect and demonstrates excellence, justice and compassion in daily work and relationship with others.
- Practices effective group facilitation skills.
- Execution focused and ability to translate need into strategy and action is required.
- Ability to work collaboratively and promote a healthy learning environment.
- Strong analytical skills with quantitative and qualitative ability to profile data sets and test scenarios. Adept using database analysis tools (e.g. Excel, Access).
- Has a track record of achieving results and has an energy level that instills a sense of urgency in others when organizational and/or customer needs are at stake.