Northwest Permanente, P.C. is a self-governed (physician led), multi-specialty group of over 1500 physicians, surgeons, and clinicians, caring for over 600,000 members in Oregon and Southwest Washington. Kaiser Permanente is one of the nation's pre-eminent health care systems, a benchmark for comprehensive, integrated and high quality care.
The Program Manager serves as an internal resource and expert in health care reform. Leads projects pertaining to EHR incentive programs and any other federally prescribed HIT reform initiatives to understand operational changes needed and lead the organization through those changes. Facilitates the EHR optimization of referrals both within KPNW as well as between KPNW and outside entities. In that work will also provide consultation in workflow design and support for network adequacy and geo-expansion. The final major area is ensuring that KPNW optimizes approach to Health Information Exchange to provide the necessary infrastructure for the above-mentioned areas. This position will have a key matrix relationship with operational leaders, quality, business affairs and HealthConnect.
- Partners with the KPHC Meaningful Use Project Manager to identify the impact reform incentive programs have on patients, physicians, and other key stakeholders.
- Organizes and manages the implementation of operational strategies necessary to meet Meaningful Use criteria as defines by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and other health reform initiatives. Works with senior leadership to develop and refine initiatives to accommodate new reform requirements.
- Maintains timelines and thoroughness of projects, facilitates data requests, and analyzes data to identify trends and areas for improvement in workflows.
- Works closely with clinical operations, IT, and informatics to achieve operational goals necessary for Meaningful Use compliance. Coordinates efforts across the region to ensure that information flows smoothly across KPHC, NWP and HealthPlan Leadership, and through the clinics and hospitals.
- Tracks and monitors actual performance against planned project performance deliverables and takes appropriate action as necessary to problem-solve while maintaining control of the project.
- Facilitates and acts as a point person to translate the EHR incentive programs and any other HIT reform efforts impact on operations and helps to prioritize performance improvement initiatives that should be fast-tracked or started to help support the reform initiatives.
- Coordinates analysis to support performance improvement and department compliance.
- Provides leadership and direction to cross-functional teams as they work through planning and implementing workflow changes.
- Ensures support and input from appropriate stakeholders and ensures input is obtained to aid swift and informed decision-making.
- Develops improvement action plans, quantifies the business benefits, and provides leadership support and mentoring to ensure implementation of prioritized projects.
- Keeps leadership informed of progress and elevates any issues that require action and/or decision. Assesses operational readiness, performance, and creation of communication tools and performance improvement strategies for helping hospitals and providers meet requirements.
- Works as a liaison between clinical and operational customers and the reporting team to identify and clarify reporting needs and expectations. Collaborates with analytics team to define indicators and benchmarks for both process and outcomes measures and to evaluate the effectiveness of informatics tools.
- Organizes and facilitates the meetings between specialist care and primary care to ensure referrals in HealthConnect are meeting clinical needs, are in support of current guidelines, and reflect the Master and Department Service Agreements.
- In collaboration with informatics leadership, guidelines, and quality, develops strategic and tactical plans for referrals in support of utilization management and resource stewardship.
- Designs and leads a regular referral review process. Ensures that all documentation related to ordering of referrals is up-to-date and supports organizational goals.
- Ensures complete integration of referral content by connecting quality, informatics, and operational leadership.
- In conjunction with Physician Lead for HIE and the national HIE team, ensures that that KPNW continues to maximize opportunities for health information exchange.
- This may require working with other KP regions as well as non-KP affiliates to maximize the exchange of clinically relevant and important information.
- This position will work to help discover solutions for integration of discrete data from external sources into our local medical record to ensure we provide the highest quality care possible.
- Provide consultation for workflow design and analysis when NWP engages with outside organizations to provide care for KP members.
- Support efforts around geo-expansion and network adequacy by partnering as a consultant to the business affairs team
- Provides other project support duties as assigned.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Demonstrated skill in facilitating leadership committees, teams and planning events, helping groups work through significant conflicts and politically charged situations.
- Knowledge of primary and specialty care and large-scale deployment techniques.
- A minimum of 2 years working directly with or in support of Care Delivery.
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal communication and supervisory skills.
- Understanding of clinical and operational processes in all venues of Care Delivery (Inpatient, Outpatient and Virtual Care).
- Experience in using an Electronic Health Record in care delivery, preferably Epic.
- A minimum of 2 years of Lean and/or Six Sigma experience or PMP certification.
- Knowledge of KPNW systems and processes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of CMS Meaningful Use Programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Health Information Exchange Programs and ability to facilitate design and integration of such programs.
Minimum Reqquired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
- Ability to lead and implement change management and process improvement activities.
- Ability to attend to details, prioritize and complete multiple tasks independently in a fast-paced environment and following agreed upon timelines.
- Healthcare experience or experience working in union environment.
- Ability to understand and utilize data to improve performance.
- Ability to simplify ideas into easily understood concepts.
Minimum Required Experience:
- A minimum of 3 years of project management experience and project oversight.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in business or health care related field.
- Demonstrated ability to lead professionals toward outcomes in support of strategic goals.
- Demonstrated ability in interpersonal communication and supervisory skills.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, design and implement process improvement, as evidenced by achieved and sustained outcomes.