Northwest Permanente, P.C. is a self-governed, physician led, multi-specialty group of over 1500 physicians, surgeons, and clinicians, caring for over 600,000 members in Oregon and Southwest Washington. We are currently seeking a Payroll Supervisor to oversee and manage the day-to-day operations of the Payroll Department in order to successfully process and deliver wages for approximately 1,700 employees, including clinicians, locums and administrative staff. This position is responsible for ensuring the calculation, preparation and execution of the payroll operations for Northwest Permanente in accordance with Federal and State rules and regulations. The Payroll Supervisor will also operate as the subject matter expert and escalation point to resolve issues and continuously looks for improvements in operational processes and designs. Additionally, the Payroll Supervisor will provide guidance and direction to a team of 3 employees as well as be responsible for fostering a team environment along with fostering a strong service culture that ensures delivery of timely and quality driven service to Northwest Permanente employees that meets customer service level agreements while driving a positive employee experience.
Major Responsibilities / Essential Functions:
- Responsible for the accuracy of payroll related information (time sheets, direct deposits, wage attachments, etc.) to ensure accurate distribution of funds and payroll.
- Supervise payroll taxation activities including payroll tax reporting, monitoring, interpreting, and implementing Federal, and State laws/policies/regulations including tax law, garnishment and labor laws which may impact payroll and ensure compliance with these laws.
- Maintains a wide variety of payroll information, files and records in written and electronic formats to provide an up-to-date reference and audit trail for compliance.
- Analyze current processes, identify and implement process improvements where appropriate.
Payroll Systems & Process Improvement
- Serve as the technical subject matter expert point of contact for payroll team.
- Works with HRIS team on new reporting and functions within UltiPro for the payroll functionalities.
- Assists with ensuring data integrity, testing of system changes, reporting writing and analyzing data flows for process improvement opportunities.
- Remains current on Payroll best practices and makes appropriate recommendations.
- Leads and/or participates in projects and initiatives to analyze, recommend and implement new products, services, technology, and processes to improve payroll service delivery models and maintain high quality payroll procedures.
- Directs the operations of the Payroll function including departmental priority setting and staffing requirements; resource management; ensures compliance with corporate policies and procedures to provide an accurate and effective service to the organization.
- Directs, coaches and develops team members to ensure the team continues to grow and is current in their understanding of payroll best practices, regulatory matters pertaining to payroll (e.g. wage and hour law, payroll tax requirements, etc.) and institutes policies and procedures applicable to the payroll function.
- Plans, schedules, and directs the staff to promote efficiency in completing their job responsibilities. Develops, implements and generates performance metrics and annual evaluations for Payroll personnel.
- Provides coaching and developmental opportunities and address performance issues in a timely manner as needed.
- Responds to sensitive payroll matters and provides guidance, recommendations, and solutions to customer issues.
- Provides management direction and oversight for all payroll activities including planning, organizing, prioritizing and delegating payroll assignments to ensure staff is meeting assigned deadlines and objectives in a timely and accurate manner that payroll customer needs are addressed effectively.
- Develops and maintains Payroll policies and procedures.
- Prepares employee communication materials related to Payroll.
- Remains current on new legislation and regulatory rulings impacting payroll. Enforce adherence to requirements and advise management on required actions.
- Manage and complete special projects as assigned
Minimum Education & Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Human Resources or related field. Required education may be augmented by equivalent years of experience.
- Minimum 5 years of payroll related experience including minimum 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Advance knowledge of payroll regulations as it relates to garnishments, child support, tax levies, FLSA and various labor laws.
- Understanding of payroll principles, concepts, practices and methods.
- Strong understanding of payroll tax at the Federal, State and Local level.
- Knowledge in report writing within an HR/Payroll system.
- Strong technical skills with experience in testing HR/Payroll system functionalities.
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail.
- Experience with time and attendance systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and written, to all levels of employees.
- Strong ability to managing, building and leading teams.
- Have strong leadership abilities, sound judgement, decision making and problem-solving skills to effectively supervise the Payroll team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written).
- Excellent collaboration, organizational, time management, customer service and problem-solving skills and the ability to work accurately and meet deadlines.
- Must have superior ability to build relationships and promote an environment focus on team development and continuous improvement.
- Proficient in Excel.
Preferred Education & Work Experience:
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) status is desired
- Knowledge of Ultimate Software, UltiPro is preferred
- Experience in a multi-state payroll is strongly preferred
At Northwest Permanente, P.C., we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Northwest Permanente, P.C. believes that diversity, inclusion, and equity among our employees is critical to our success and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.